(originally posted at: http://foodsnobberyhobbery.blogspot.com/2007/11/veganmofo-survey.html)
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
i'm still a fan of vitasoy unsweetened original, but haven't really bought it in a long time because of the insane price. so i buy the 10-pack of kirkland from costco. (and now they don't have plain in stock, so i have to use vanilla. it's so annoying. but it is 1 buck per quart, so i can't really complain. i also like to get pathmark's soymilk when it's on sale, cause it's a buck then too. and it's quite good. nearly as good as vitasoy.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
does it have to be meals?
chocolate peanut butter shells
pumpkin cinnamon rolls
and autumn's peanut butter cups
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
melted EB and nooch.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
my first attempt at funnel cake. most definitely.
5. Favorite pickled item?
olives are technically pickled, right? if not, plain old cukes.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
preferably on recipe cards, but it takes time to post it into my word template, and then each page of cards needs 4 recipes, so i'll usually just print them out if i'm in a hurry. for those recipes, i have a binder with plastic sleeves and tabs with categories. but i prefer the individual cards. that's for a lazy day and for recipes i really like, where i can slap multiples of 4 on the cards and git 'er dun.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
i refuse to get a garbage disposal since it takes more energy to then clean the dirty water than to just throw it into the trash in the first place. although i suppose if your municipality then composts the sludge. hmmm. anyway, unfortunately right now, it's trash. i have a roll of chicken wire hanging out in the back yard not really doing anything. we can't just throw it on the pile, cause we have a veggie lovin pittie that'll get into trouble. someday we'll have a great composting method. but right now we don't.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
hmmmm. fruits would probably be in good supply on the island, so i think i'd want to bring something proteiny. like cashews, and chickpeas. and chocolate. heh.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
maybe "ambrosia" (mini chocolate chips, pistachio pudding, pineapple, marshmallows)
or pineapple bread pudding. (i'd like to veganize that, but it's got lots 'o eggs.)
or possibly apple or peach cake.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
probably PB zigzag from soy delicious.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
oh gosh. hard! i think i'll have to go with the kitchenaid stand mixer. (for 400, alex)
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
hmmmmm. possibly cumin.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
the art of tofu? i think.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
seedless raspberry probably.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
don't think i have one. i don't really cook for omnis. and if i do, they usually don't want to try it.
it'll probably be chili. but that's not because it's my favorite, it's because it's the least "weird" and is least likely to be rejected. i'd love to be able to serve chickpea cutlets or baked tofu, but they'd likely cringe and judge a book by it's cover.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
well, definitely not tempeh. but deciding between tofu and seitan is like deciding between PB + chocolate and mint + chocolate. they're both great in their own different ways. and you don't usually substitute one for the other. so i am not going to play favorites. i do however like byranna's soy+seitan loaf. hahaha!
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
as in ease? anything with canned beans. probably chana masala.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
dog toys and treats (as well as her vitamins)
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
frozen broccoli (from wholefoods) TJ's masala burgers, frozen peas.
20. What's on your grocery list?
bread, avalon organics vitamin c face wash, random veggies, hoisin sauce.
21. Favorite grocery store?
i suppose wholefoods. or pathmark (for the soymilk)
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
pineapple bread pudding, or that ambrosia. :-) and funnelcake.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?i don't play favorites. i read them all. (or whichever ones i know about)
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
possibly the raisin pecan bar from trader joes. (the bar itself says terra nostra)
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
hmm. probably 20+ lbs of various sugars on a wholefoods run. (in preparation for the testing of course) they now have 4 lb bags of vegan sugar. so that rocks. it's still in plastic, but at least with the larger bags, some plastic is being saved. i also got some powdered, and 2 kinds of brown sugar. it was great.
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it).
oh, come on now.
is your kitchen a complete mess?
why yes, yes it is. how did you know?